Are you tired of seeing posts meant for advertising and linking to affiliate products without actually adding great value to your life?
Are you in search of quality and reliable acrylic bathtubs?
It may not be that simple...
This buying guide tackles everything you need to be aware of when shopping for a bathtub that uses acrylic material.
Generally, you need to consider a few things:
- It needs to improve the look of your bathroom
- It should allow you to rest your back
- It should be easy to install
- It should be comfortable
We’ve compiled 11 of the best alcove and freestanding bathtubs for you to choose from. Keep reading to find out more.
- 1. American Standard 2691004.020 Acrylic Bathtub – #1 Best Overall
- 2. Kingston Brass Aqua Eden – Runner Up
- 3. FerdY Classic Freestanding Bathtub – Best Oval Shaped Model
- 4. KINGSTON BRASS VTRS592928 – Best Ergonomic
- 5. Ove Decors Freestanding Bathtub
- 6. AKDY 67″ Bathroom Smooth Glossy Acrylic – Most Stylish
- 7. Woodbridge Acrylic Freestanding Bathtub Contemporary – Best Luxury
- 8. Empava Made in USA 67 Inch – Best Glossy
- 9. Woodbridge 67″ Acrylic Freestanding Tubs – Best Value for the Money
- 10. D-Code – Best Simple Acrylic Soaking Bathtub
- 11. American Standard 2461002.020 Cambridge – Best Budget
The American Standard 2691004.020 Acrylic Freestanding Bathtub is one of the best compared to others on the market.
This 68-inch tub looks and feels elegant, especially with its seamless acrylic finish. Its surface coating is smooth and features a 17-inch overflow height that will keep water in it.
Best Acrylic Bathtub Reviews (Updated for 2022)
Acrylic is the most common material used in acrylic bathtubs. That’s why we’re here to discuss eleven of the best choices in the market.
We’ve listed different styles from different price points. So you’re sure to find a tub that fits you well.
1. American Standard 2691004.020 – #1 Best Overall
This unit features a flat back that allows you to place it directly against a wall. You’ll love the contemporary look thanks to its sleek design and bright white color that can liven up any room you choose to put it into.
Its features include:
Seamless Acrylic – this great value bathtub has a seamless acrylic with fiberglass reinforcement body. This finish not only looks beautiful, but it’s also incredibly easy to clean.
Deep Soaking – this bathtub is huge and has enough space inside to let you soak comfortably. Its 17-inch overflow height keeps the water in it so you don’t have to worry about potential water damage to your floors.
Summary: There’s nearly nothing bad you can say about this American Standard tub. First of all, it’s very lightweight for its size—which is very surprising. It’s beautiful and sleek and low maintenance as well. If you’re looking for a solidly built and reliable tub without the fuss, this is the right choice for you.
2. Kingston Brass Aqua Eden – Runner Up
The Kingston Brass Aqua Eden tub also caught my eye. This pedestal bathtub is lightweight and strong. It can also be placed anywhere you like.
This bathtub, in particular, is designed to slope downward from both sides for easy draining through its center drainage.
Take a look at its best features:
Faucet Drillings – you don’t need to worry about faucet placement with this model. It features 7-inch drillings that allow you to easily install a faucet.
Fitted Adjustments – if you have uneven floors, you don’t have to worry! This tub comes with fitted adjusters that allow you to level it despite your wonky floors.
Summary: The Aqua Eden comes at a close second because of its beautiful design. If you’re looking for a tub that looks and feels luxurious, this Kingston tub is for you. It’s also considerably lightweight and is designed to drain more quickly and effectively.
3. FerdY Classic – Best Oval Shaped Model
If you’re looking for a classic bathtub, then this FerdY tub is the perfect choice for you. You’ll love soaking in it for extended periods comfortably thanks to the fitted lumbar support.
Take a look at its most promising qualities:
Anti-sliding Gasket – this attachment allows your tub to be versatile. It can comply with any floor drain requirement and efficiently prevents any water leakage from happening.
High-Gloss, High-Quality – you’ll love the stunning high-gloss finish of this model. This makes it easy to clean, resistant to cracks and cosmetics. This also means you don’t have to worry about your tub turning off-white in color. It’s guaranteed to look spotless for many years.
Summary: This tub looks and feels elegant. You’ll love the easy access to the drain by using your toe and FerdY’s 10-year non-yellowing guarantee. You’ll love soaking in this crisp, bright-white bath for a long time.
4. KINGSTON BRASS VTRS592928 – Best Ergonomic
This Kingston Brass tub can handle nearly 60 gallons of water in it. That means you’ll enjoy soaking in it completely.
If you’re looking for a tub that has a classic design that allows you to relax completely, you’ll love this.
Here are its most notable features:
Ergonomic Rise the single slipper design of this tub allows you to lie back and relax against the ergonomic rise on one end of the tub. It’s designed to support your back and head comfortably for extended periods, so you don’t have to worry about feeling like you spent too little time in your tub.
Versatile Drainage – because of its design, you’ll be able to decide whether you want it to have a left or right handed drain. This also means it’s easier to fit into your per-existing drainage system.
Summary: This tub is perfect if you’re looking for a KINGSTON that feels comfortable even after a long period. You’ll love the anti-microbial finish that prevents germs from building up in your tub and it’s easy to clean properties that make it even easier to maintain.
5. Ove Decors
This Ove bathtub is the easiest to clean among all the choices I’ve listed. Its sleek design has no sharp corners, which means it’s easier to get into when you need to.
You’ll love the chrome-finished drain on the tub bottom that makes it easy to drain.
You’ll love the following features:
Pop-Up and Overflow Drainage – you’ll love the non-centered right or left drain. It prevents overflow and is easy to access as well as comfortable. This means you don’t have to worry about it snagging on your skin while you’re soaking.
100% Non-Yellowing – unlike other brands, this Ove tub comes with a 100% guarantee that it will never fade. You’ll enjoy the consistent bAcrylichite acrylic without any signs of yellowing.
Summary: This tub is incredibly easy to clean and dirt and stain resistant thanks to its ultra glossy surface. However, you will need to exercise caution to prevent slip and fall accidents because of its high gloss and non-textured bottom.
6. AKDY 67″ Bathroom Smooth Glossy White – Most Stylish
The AKDY 67″ tub is perfect if you want an ultimately stylish unit with no fuss. It features ergonomic curvatures that allow you to maximize your soak time without developing discomfort.
Compared to cast iron tubs, this AKDY is incredibly lightweight, which makes it perfect for second-floor bathrooms.
Take a look at its most notable features:
Max Drain – this unit is both stylish and functional. It comes with an overflow drain that looks sleek as well as a built-in bottom drain. It is designed to keep water inside through over full capacity.
Large Capacity – it’s built for sharing! Whether you like to take baths with your kids or with your partner, you’ll enjoy this large capacity tub built for two people use.
Summary: This bathtub is perfect for any room that you want to bring a touch of elegance to. It’s great for sharing and the doublewalled construction keeps your bathwater warmer longer.
7. Woodbridge Acrylic Bathtub Contemporary – Best Luxury
If you’re looking for a truly luxurious bathtub, the Woodbridge Contemporary is perfect for you. It comes with an elegant faucet that improves its aesthetic greatly.
Take a look at the features you’ll love:
Nickel Finish – unlike chrome-finished products that tend to fade over time, the brushed nickel design on this tub’s overflow and drain make it more durable and add a beautiful contrast to the bright white acrylic as well.
DoubleWalled Design – it allows it to retain heat for longer periods. It also prevents your tub from getting permanently damaged. This means if your tub is damaged on one side, you’ll still be able to use it effectively until it is repaired.
Summary: This luxury acrylic bathtub is perfect if you want to add an elegant focal point to your bathroom. You’ll love the durable design and double-walled style that keeps your water warm and comforting.
8. Empava Made in USA 67 Inch – Best Glossy
This Empava boasts the most attractive glossy acrylic finish. Don’t let its simple design fool you because it’s incredibly durable and features great double-walled insulation that keeps your water warm.
Take a look at the features you’ll appreciate:
Steel Bracket Supports – you know a tub is highly durable when it can accommodate up to 1000 lbs. The steel bracket supports on the bottom of this tub significantly boosts its bearing capacity and ensures your tub will last a long time of daily use.
Tub-Filler Compatible – depending on the style of bathroom you’d like, you can rest assured your tub is compatible with fillers. Although they’re not included with your purchase, it’s still good to know that you can use them when you need to.
Summary: If you choose this unit, you should at least try to arrange for white-glove service or have someone around to help you install it (like a professional). It’s a relatively heavy unit which will prove problematic if you can’t carry it all by yourself. Otherwise, the company is known to package their tubs efficiently for shipping and provides a good enough 5-Year limited warranty.
9. Woodbridge 67″ Acrylic – Best Value for the Money
We’re always looking for products that are worth your money. The Woodbridge 67″ Freestanding tub is one of those products. At under $600 with free unscheduled delivery, you’re sure to get your money’s worth.
This tub’s full capacity is 60 gallons, which will allow you to soak deeply and effectively. Take a look at its best qualities: Sizenomical Size – unlike other 60-gallon tubs on the market, this Woodbridge is designed to fit a variety of spaces. You’ll enjoy the ample space and versatility of this acrylic bathtub.
Enduraclean Design – this model is designed to be stain-resistant and scratch-resistant to maintain a high-gloss surface. It’s also very easy to clean and stays bright white despite years of use.
Premium Construction – unlike other brands, this Woodbridge tub is made of 100% Lucite acrylic, Ashland resin and fiberglass. These materials are quite expensive and will significantly reduce the company’s margin of profit. That’s why this tub is more durable than most.
Summary: This model is very durable and reliable. You’ll love that it’s affordable enough at under $600 and it efficiently keeps warmth for a long time. It’s also very low maintenance. However, I suggest you invest in a better hose as the hose is not durable and could cause leaks. The surface of the tub itself is also very slippery. So you should definitely invest in a non-skid mat.
10. D-Code – Best Simple Acrylic Soaking Bathtub
This D-Code is designed for smaller European-style homes so you’ll love its plain and simple yet ergonomic design.
The bright white contrasts or blends into any bathroom decor beautifully. You’ll also love that it’s supported by a steel frame that keeps it steady and durable.
Take a look at the features I liked:
Lightweight – this D-Code weighs in at only 44 lbs. That’s more than half the weight of most tubs we’ve reviewed here. That means it’s easier to install, and it’s great for top-level bathrooms that can’t carry too much weight.
Drop-In Drain – this D-Code features a drop-in drain that allows you to position it on the left or right side. This makes installation easier with less fuss.
Summary: If you’re looking for a no-fuss unit that gets all the basic functions of a acrylic bathtub done, this D-Code is for you. You’ll love the simple design made to fit smaller homes which means it’s more space-efficient than traditional models. It’s also incredibly sturdy so you know it will last you a long time. However, it’s as plain as it gets.
11. American Standard 2461002.020 Cambridge – Best Budget Acrylic Bathtub
We’ll wrap up our list of best acrylic bathtub models with the best budget-friendly option.
You’ll love this American Standard model that is very durable, long-lasting, and reliable for only $523.02 on Amazon. You can even get an instant discount if you apply for an Amazon Visa.
Here’s what we love:
Americast Body and High-Gloss Acrylic– Americast is significantly lighter than cast iron. However, it doesn’t compromise on durability. This model will last you a long time and is resistant to scratches and chipping. The high-gloss acrylic surface is non-porous, which means it won’t keep stains and won’t yellow over time. This also makes it significantly easy to clean. Its Americast backing also insulates the tub, which keeps it quiet during showers.
Integrated Apron and Tile Flange – you’ll love the convenient apron and tile flange that come with this model. That means you don’t have to purchase them separately and makes it quick and easy to install it once your acrylic bathtub arrives.
Summary: If you’re lucky to get a tub that doesn’t have problems, then this American Standard bathtub is perfect for you. It’s very durable, scratch-resistant and stain-repellent. You’ll love how easy it is to clean and install. However, you’d best purchase it from a physical store and arrange for transport yourself, because it doesn’t ship very well.
How Do I Choose the Right Acrylic Tub?
An acrylic tub can last you a long time and is a reliable companion for your hot and warm baths. Understandably, each user will have different preferences.
But generally, it’s important to consider the following before you purchase one:
- Measurements – make sure the tub you’re choosing will fit into your space comfortably. It’s not a good idea to purchase the largest tub if it means you’ll have little to no floor space left to move around your bathroom. Take a measuring tape and measure all the nooks and crannies to be sure.
- Finish/Coat – classic acrylic bathtubs are usually bright white in color. But did you know that there are a number of different colors to choose from? You can also choose between a high-gloss, medium-gloss, or matte finish for your tub. Make sure you consider this when you’re choosing a tub.
- Easy Installation – if this is the first time you’re installing a tub on your own, make sure you choose an easy-to-install acrylic tub. Purchase one that doesn’t require too many tools or complicated steps. Additionally, you should also consider the type of tub you’d like.
- Alcove bathtubs are harder to install compared to freestanding tub. However, an alcove bath is usually more appropriate for most homes. This is because most bathrooms are usually designed to fit alcove tubs.
- Some units have a pre-leveled tub bottom, which makes installation easier.
- Alcove tubs are also designed to have an integrated apron. If your tub isn’t, you will need to purchase a removable apron. Kohler-designed tubs are usually a good choice if you want a unit that comes integrated.
- Attachments – bathtubs provide a means for soaking and relaxing after a tiring day. Instead of choosing a plain unit, choose one that fits your needs, and boasts attachments that boost your relaxation time like:
- Built-in lumbar support
- Ambient mood lighting
- Water jet
- Comfort – make sure you can comfortably sit inside your tub. You should be able to sit flush in your tub without complications or having to contort your body to different angles. That said, you need to make sure your bathtub is just the right depth for you. If you’re looking for a unit that’s much deeper, some tubs that rSizerger in size can hold up to 80 gallons of water. However, a capacity of 64 gallons of water would be sufficient as well.
What is the Best Thickness for an Acrylic Bath?
How can you choose the best thickness of acrylic bath to give your canvas a boost? Although there is no ‘one size fits all answer to this question, there are some general points to keep in mind when figuring out how to select the right thickness for your painting. Why Thicker is Better. We should first get rid of the myth that thicker is always better. Although the thickness of the paint will contribute to the final thickness of the left-hand canvas, it is important to remember that paints are made up of different amounts of impurities and additives. Particularly in my paintings, acrylics contain many formaldehyde additives as part of their manufacturing process.
If you don’t layer the paint thick enough you may get a flaky, ragged finish that will blur the desired depth of tone. In order to get the paint to take hold firmly in place on your hand drain canvas, you will need to layer the paint consistently in thickness, starting from the edge and working your way to the center, and only when the paint is fully absorbed into the canvas. Although this is not chicken and the egg’ as it is common for older easels to have paint strokes rubbed away as the canvas is removed, I’ve found that a denser surface of paint on the canvas encourages the paint to take hold firmly, and a lighter surface will cause the paint to smear, flake and cause your canvas to fade quickly in time. The following are my favorite acrylic thinners and thickeners, and they are the thinnest I feel can work for my painting and achieve the desired result.
Do Acrylic Tubs Turn Yellow?
In older homes, I have never had to worry about the amount of time old pink or green paint chips stayed on my dining room floor. In fact, I’ve never actually noticed they’d been there until a visitor pointed it out. Thankfully, that is no longer the case. Whether you prefer to use concrete or other natural finishes, it is vitally important to seal the concrete or other natural finishes on your floor to help prevent discoloration. Make sure to use an all-natural sealer such as water-based latex or urethane instead of mineral spirits or other similar products to help stop or limit oxidation of the concrete or natural finishes.
Not all concrete and natural materials are created equal, so read the label of your sealer carefully to find out which concrete or natural materials you are sealing, and follow the directions carefully to ensure the sealer will work properly for you. Does Not Lime. Many readers have asked if acrylic tubs will cause lime to grow on concrete. After all, I have had photos of bathtubs encrusted with lime (and other kinds of brown or black substances), and many of those tubs were acrylic. No, acrylic tubs don’t lime. Unlike natural finishes, acrylic tubs do not discolor in an organic, natural way. Acrylic tubs are pure acrylic and contain no mineral spirits, formaldehyde, or any other harmful additives.
Which is Better Vikrell or Acrylic?
Sure, everything is glossy with vinyl and vinyl is heavy but the price difference between vinyl and acrylic is huge. I went with vinyl simply because of the price difference between 3/4″ and 1″. For $30, you get a lot more surface area than you do with $35-40 worth of acrylic. There is also a smaller design option for the smooth vinyl for just $15.00. However, there is a major issue with the smooth vinyl designs.
There is no good solution. Once you get past the glossy material, you have small spaces with gaps that just require good lubrication to work. This is why I bought a woodblock at a local woodworking shop, to get some good old mineral spirits, and then used silicone oil and water to get it smooth enough to use in the end. But don’t be surprised if you don’t have any luck with that either.
Which is Better: Acrylic or Porcelain Bathtub?
It depends on your preferences. Both tub types have different selling points and different drawbacks. Let’s take a closer look:
- Unlike porcelain tubs, acrylic bathtubs are not very scratch-resistant. They’re likely to develop scratches and have their outer layer removed over time.
- That said, porcelain tubs do chip very easily. Whereas acrylic tubs are more likely to develop dents than the chip.
- Acrylic tubs are easier to repair. Porcelain usually requires more work, and if it is significantly chipped, it’s very unlikely that your porcelain tub can be repaired to look brand new.
- Acrylic tubs are better if you like to take long hot or warm baths. They tend to retain heat better because of their construction.
How to Install an Acrylic Bathtub
Installing an acrylic bathtub is not impossible to do by yourself. However, if you’re not too keen on installing your acrylic tub yourself, it’s best to contact a professional.
But if you want to try your hand at it, You can install your tub in six not-so-easy steps:
- Make Sure Your Measurements are Accurate – acrylic tubs come in all shapes and sizes. To make sure that your tub is the right size and that it will fit your bathroom take accurate measurements of your space and bring it with you when you shop. Always make sure to allow for some measurement difference. Never purchase an acrylic bathtub for your bathroom without double-checking the size. Make sure you account for the exterior width and height of your tub.
- Consider Your Flooring – it’s important to make sure you have the bathroom floor for your tub. If you’re replacing your current tub, you should inspect the floors closely and make sure it doesn’t have signs of water damage. You also need to make sure your floors are leveled correctly. Otherwise, your tub might not sit properly. If your floors are made of wooden planks, make sure you treat them to prevent rotting from getting wet.
- Position Your Supports – acrylic tubs require a placement that will allow the water to flow down the drain. To achieve this, you need to make sure your supports are fitted properly. As a general rule, one end of your tub should be minutely shorter than the other.
- Organize Plumbing – make sure your pipes are not clustered together when you position your tub. This will make it difficult for you to repair any pipes that may need it. If you’re adding other attachments like a shower head, make sure you test and fit it accordingly to avoid any leaks and problems.
- Sidings – make sure you put in the correct size of sidings for your acrylic bathtub. It needs to fit comfortably without the risk of slipping free. You also need to make sure that you place it correctly. Sidings are placed underneath the edges of the tub to prevent potential water damage to your floors. The siding keeps water from overflowing.
- Seal the Deal – it’s important to take a final look at your tub and identify problem areas. If it needs to be out up against a wall, make sure you seal the sides to prevent water from getting into the space in between the wall and your tub. Pro tip: make sure you weigh down your tub with water before sealing to make sure you don’t miss any spots.
- Some tubs are meant to be used for showering. In these cases, a tile flange is a necessity to keep water from collecting down the sides of your tub.
Do Best Acrylic Bathtubs Crack?
Yes. However, they are more resistant to crack compared to porcelain tubs. You’ll need to take proper care in checking if your tub has cracks.
This often leads to water damage on your floors and makes it difficult to fill up your tub quickly especially if the damage is significant.
What is the Best Thickness for an Acrylic Bathtub?
5mm is the ideal thickness for a best acrylic tub. However, it might be more durable if it’s thicker. Some tubs can run up to 8mm thick.
However, it poses a few problems if it causes your tub to be too heavy. Makes sure you exercise proper judgment prior to choosing the right thickness.
Which is Better Acrylic or Enamel Bathtub?
Both, definitely! I love that the enamel bathtub requires nothing more than simple cleaning of the water you use to scrub the grime from your skin. Acrylic bathtubs are, in my opinion, far easier to clean, so it’s a matter of preference, really. Both provide a wonderfully luxurious soak experience. The Enamel Bathtub Not The Least Option For Home Buyers. As I mentioned before, there are many brands of enameled bathtubs on the market. Some of them are very expensive (from USD$8,000 to USD$13,000), however, I think it’s probably more cost-effective to go for a cheap enamel bathtub than spend a fortune on a fancy one.
For those of you who are on a budget and don’t feel like spending a ton of money on a luxurious tub, I suggest that you go for the following options (yes, that’s a bathtub, not a display model. We don’t judge, kiddies!). The Rubber Bathtub (it looks like a bathtub). This is another affordable option. These bathtubs are made of rubber, which is soft and extremely durable. You can pick one of them for as little as USD$140 and you can get them in different sizes. There are plenty of choices for you in the market.
What Services/Warranty Should I Look For Before Buying an Acrylic Bath?
- Some merchants offer free Installation or White-Glove service. This is especially helpful if you’re not too excited about installing the tub yourself.
- Additionally, you need to make sure that delivery and shipping is reliable. It’s important to remember that tubs are heavy, huge, and prone to damage during transit, especially if they’re not packed or handled properly.
- Choose a company that consistently delivers undamaged tubs.
- Make sure the company deals with any damage that happens to your tub during transit.
- Unless you’re okay with a tub that will only last you a couple of years, you should make sure that your warranty covers these major aspects:
- Factory defects
- Acrylic shell
- This will make sure that your tub is set for much longer use when used and installed properly.
- Some companies offer a limited lifetime warranty. Make sure you find a unit that has a warranty that can cover at least five years of use.
In conclusion, an acrylic tub is an ideal option if you’re looking for a acrylic bathtub that can last you many years and support you with your love for warm baths.
However, acrylic baths aren’t for everyone. If you’re looking for a totally scratch-proof surface, you’d best choose a porcelain bathtub.
However, that doesn’t mean acrylic tubs are inferior to porcelain tubs.
In fact, they’ve evolved a lot from the first acrylic tub released.
When choosing an acrylic bathtub, it’s important to check for a few key things:
- Durability – your tub should be reinforced with fiberglass at the least. The steel framework is ideal, and steel supports are also recommended.
- Finish – a high-gloss finish is great. But it can be very dangerous. Make sure you choose a tub that has enough traction so you can avoid slipping.
- There are also acrylic tubs that feature a scratch-resistant surface. It’s not exactly scratch-proof, but it’s close enough.
- Non-yellowing – it can be very annoying when your tub yellows in the next few years. It looks horrible, and it feels dirty. Make sure you choose a unit with a non-yellowing guarantee.
But what unit has all these great features? The American Standard 2691004.020 is my top pick because it boasts all these basic features and more.
It may not be the least expensive or most luxurious acrylic bathtub, but it’s a great addition to any bathroom, nonetheless.
I especially liked the center drain design on this unit because it allows water to drain more efficiently. But the feature that caught my eye is the space-efficiency.
You can set up this acrylic bathtub flush to the wall, so you’re not wasting precious floor space. Plus, it makes it easier to connect with your shower.
Summary: To summarize, the American Standard 2691004.020 is the best acrylic bathtub on the market. You’ll love its durability and reliable customer service as well as its beautiful aesthetic.