If you’re like most people, a freestanding bathtub evokes coziness, intimacy, and deep relaxation. Until your tub cracks, becomes yellow, or starts leaking. Then it evokes feelings of despair, anger, and frustration.
Avoid all these issues and get the right model for your needs. You’ll find it right below because we’ll teach you how to read the product specs through the lens of your purpose.
We’ll also tell you how to choose the best freestanding tub and how to navigate through contradictory consumer reports. Read along!
- 1. Woodbridge B-0034/BTS1611 – Best Overall
- 2. Empava 67 – Runner Up
- 3. WOODBRIDGE Acrylic Freestanding Bathtub – Premium Quality Construction
- 4. WOODBRIDGE Acrylic B-0014 With Pillow – Durable
- 5. MAYKKE Barnet 61″ – Comfortable Soaking Tub
- 6. American Standard 2764014M202.011 – Best Affordable
- 7. FerdY 59″ Freestanding Bathtub – Best Model with Classic Design
- 8. Veba 55 inch Freestanding Tub – Best Ergonomic Model
- 9. ARIEL Platinum AM128JDCLZ – Best Whirlpool Bathtub
Best Freestanding Tub Reviews (2020 Update)
Did you know that only 24 freestanding bathtubs have a review of 4 stars and above? From those 24 tubs, we’ve selected ten of the best.
Using our twenty-point scale test system, my team and I spent the last half-year testing models. Our criteria include durability, materials, craftsmanship, functions, and more.
But look at online reviews, and you’ll find these abstract features may not be useful for you. What you need is help to decide which tub fits your needs. That’s why we discussed the items below in terms of their best use to you.
1. Woodbridge B-0034/BTS1611 Whirlpool Water Jetted And Air Bubble – Best Freestanding Bathtub
Woodbridge B-0034’s middle name is elegant comfort. You will enjoy an effective hydro-massage that targets all your painful knots, while the S-curve takes the pressure off your back.
This model ensures your water stays warm long enough thanks to a convenient double-wall design. Therefore, you’ll feel cozy and relaxed throughout your bath.
Woodbridge B-0034 with jets is the best-rated tub in this review because:
- The 10 adjustable massage jets plus 10 whirlpool jets ensure your complete comfort. These jets will target your whole body with a deep massage to relieve your pain and sore muscles.
- It has a powerful pump that offers you a strong, constant massage. You’ll benefit from the innovative Woodbridge technology that guarantees the approved motor will last you a long time.
- You’ll get a relaxing air massage. The air massage offers you a soft-tissue massage so your muscles can relax faster. The combination of deep and soft-tissue massage is effective in reducing your pain and post-workout muscle soreness. Besides, air massage is also proven to improve your blood circulation. Therefore, B-0034 reduces your swelling and improves your cardiovascular issues.
- It has top materials and craftsmanship. The stainless steel draining jets will save you from rust and will resist for a long time. Besides, the LUCITE acrylic tub reinforced with resin and fiberglass is durable and will look good in your bathroom. Bonus: the drain saves you from leaks and smells.
Summary: Woodbridge B-0034 is a high quality, comfortable tub for the price. Get this model if you want a compact freestanding tub for pain release and relaxation! Courtesy of its three massage types and good insulation, B-0034 improves your blood circulation and alleviates sore muscles.
2. Empava 67″ – Best Stand Alone Bathtub
Empava 67” will complement your bathroom décor thanks to its sleek, curved design. You can even ask Empava to change the drain fitting to match your fittings!
You will find this bathtub comfortable for a deep soak alone or with your partner because it holds up to 58.11 gallons!
Take a look at some of its other features:
- Stylish and versatile design. If you choose the Empava 67”, its lush curves and glossy acrylic will up the overall look of your restroom. Moreover, you can add any sort of tub filler you want to improve your bathroom décor.
- Ergonomic. Empava’s curves aren’t just for show. They ergonomically contour your body shape to ensure you’ll relax in a comfortable bath.
- Durable. Empava 67” is manufactured entirely with acrylic reinforced with fiberglass, to ensure it will last you for years. The brushed nickel drain and overflow are also durable and save you from rust.
- Effective relaxation. The ergonomic, curved design and fiberglass reinforcement ensure you’ll emerge from your bath completely relaxed. These characteristics ensure complete relaxation because a) you’ll be sitting comfortably, and b) the water stays hot for longer thanks to the reinforced acrylic walls.
Summary: Empava 67” is your best choice for soaking alone or with a partner. Get this bathtub if you want a contouring, modern, and insulating bathtub.
3. WOODBRIDGE Acrylic Freestanding Bathtub – Premium Quality Construction
Woodbridge BTA-1515 is a wide, deep bathtub that allows you to soak comfortably regardless of your shape. Its design features a gentle slope to take the pressure off your back and ensure you’re relaxing.
If you want a bathtub with easy installation, definitely consider BTA-1515. Woodbridge has a pre-installed center drain, overflow, and adjustable feet to make your job easier.
If that didn’t convince you, take a look at its other features:
- Accommodating dimensions. BTA-1515 is 67 (L) x 31.5 (W) x 28.37 (D), with a capacity of 60 gallons. These dimensions ensure good comfort as you can stretch your legs or even move around. Your entire body is submerged underwater, so all your muscles benefit from soothing heat. The BTA-1515 is so big, and it can even fit two people.
- Top materials. The LUCITE acrylic with ASHLAND resin and fiberglass reinforcement ensures the BTA-1515 will resist in your bathroom for years to come. Your tub is inviting and stylish because LUCITE acrylic is a glossy material.
- Ergonomic and stylish. The curving lines of BTA-1515 create a sleek design that fits well in your bathroom. Besides, these gentle slopes ensure your body will rest in a comfortable, supported position.
- Low maintenance. The acrylic surface is resistant to stains and scratches, and you can clean it easily. Besides, the famous Woodbridge anti-leak and anti-odor design ensure you won’t have extra cleaning hassles.
Summary: Woodbridge BTA-1515 is your best choice if you want to submerge your entire body underwater. Get this model if you need a wide, durable tub, with easy installation.
4. WOODBRIDGE Acrylic B-0014 With Pillow – Durable
WOODBRIDGE B-0014 is similar to the BTA-1515. The main differences are that:
- It’s smaller, so not as good if you prefer stretching your legs. However, the tub can hold 55 gallons for a good soak.
- It has straight edges, so the B-0014 has a rather austere design that may not fit in your lush, curvy-style bathroom.
- It comes with an included pillow to give you extra support. If you have chronic lower back pain, for instance, fix this pillow in the small of your back to take the pressure off your spine. If you want to reduce upper body strain or tension migraines, fix the pillow under your neck.
Other features and benefits related to its:
- High Quality construction. We already discussed that LUCITE acrylic with ASHLAND resin and fiberglass reinforcement offers you a durable construction. Besides, these materials make your glossy tub stylish and modern.
- Ergonomic. B-0014 has an ergonomic curved design that contours your shape. This design and the added support pillow offer you optimum weight distribution for effective pain relief.
- Effective relaxation. The comfortable, supportive design is the first step toward your relaxation. But the ASHLAND reinforcement alleviates your muscle soreness and decreases your stress too. That’s because this reinforcement keeps the water in your tub warmer for longer, so you can reap the benefits of soothing heat.
Summary: WOODBRIDGE B-0014 is best if you have chronic pain and want a tub that allows you to unwind completely. The contouring design, high heat retention, and support pillow offer you increased comfort and pain relief.
5. MAYKKE Barnet 61″ – Freestanding Comfortable Soaking Tub
MAYKKE Barnet 61” is one of the best freestanding bathtubs if you’re after comfortable soaking because:
- It’s very deep
- It holds 66 water gallons
- It sports an 8-layer wall design that ensures maximum heat retention
You will like the contemporary oval design and easy installation. However, keep in mind this tub is a bit narrow, and it may be too deep for your kids. Other features include:
- 100% acrylic build. This high quality material is durable and ensures your water stays warm throughout your bath. Acrylic is a smooth material that looks stylish in your bathroom, but you’ll also find it easy to clean.
- Modern design. The oval design gives out contemporary vibes you’ll find extremely inviting. Soaking in this tub is like visiting the spa, but keep in mind the oval shape means it’s a narrow tub.
- Easy to install. You don’t have to remodel or deadbolt your bathroom. This tub has adjustable feet and an included flex tube drain. Because you can attach this tube to your pipes, you don’t need to hire an expensive plumber.
- User-friendly. The tub will drain quickly before you’ve all dried up thanks to the flexible waste hose. Besides, this waste hose makes easy installation possible whether your bathroom is big or small.
Summary: MAYKKE Barnet 61” is your best bet if you want a complete, comfortable soak. You’ll enjoy this deep, durable tub because it doesn’t let your water lose heat and because it looks stylish.
6. American Standard 2764014M202.011 Cadet Freestanding Tub – Best Affordable
The American Standard Cadet is one of the best freestanding tubs because it’s made with acrylic-capped ABS, reinforced with fiberglass. These materials ensure your tub is strong and durable, so it can withstand impacts.
This value for money bathtub has other advantages for you, such as:
- Chemical and abrasion resistance. The quality acrylic build offers you a glossy, durable tub. You’ll clean it easily, and you won’t get any scratches, regardless of the cleaning products you’re using.
- Added tub filler. You’ll like the stylish chrome tub filler because it complements your bathroom décor. Besides, it makes it easy to find a tub filler that fits the tub.
- Added handheld spray shower. If you want a tub with a shower, you don’t have to purchase your hand shower separately.
- Extra deep. The tub is 23-inch deep, so you can enjoy a complete immersion. You’ll enjoy long, relaxing soaks in this beautiful tub.
- Two-piece design. This design ensures you’ll install the tub easily and fast in your bathroom. That’s because the pre-leveled tub bottom will save you from spending an arm and a leg on plumbing parts and job.
Summary: If you’re looking for a stylish, comfy bath for the money, consider the American Standard Cadet. This tub is easy to install, strong, and comes with a limited lifetime warranty. Besides, you’ll enjoy some relaxing deep soaks inside it!
7. FerdY 59″ Freestanding Bathtub – Best Model with Classic Design
The first thing that catches your eye with the FerdY 59” tub is its non-yellowing 10-year warranty. If you’re getting a classic white tub, you want it to stay glossy white for as long as possible.
Apart from that, you also notice the sturdy design with top materials.
These features ensure your tub is durable and keeps your water warm as long as possible. Let’s dig into some of FerdY’s top advantages:
- Clean-cut design. The bathtub has clean lines that look stylish and classic. This simple design improves your bathroom décor, especially thanks to the hand-finished details. The only thing I’d change is that it’s not a deep bath for an immersive soak.
- Sloped lumbar support. When you need a relaxing bath, you want a tub that keeps you comfortable. The lumbar support takes the pressure off your back so you won’t get out of the tub with aches and cramps.
- Toe-tap drain. This sort of drain ensures user-friendliness. All you have to do is tap the drain with your toe to activate it!
- 100% acrylic reinforced with fiberglass. These materials help your tub resist for ages. This eco-friendly tub is also resistant to whatever chemicals you may use for cleaning. You’ll find it easy to clean this tub, and you’ll be happy to know acrylic resists cracks easily.
- Easy installation. The instructions are easy for you to follow because they have an illustrated guide. You’ll also appreciate the adjustable leveling feet and two types of drain pipes in the package, brass, and plastic. These plastic drainpipes are the easiest to adjust to your floor drain because you can extend them between 12 and 32 inches.
Summary: FerdY 59” tub is best if you want good quality for the money. Choose this tub if you want a classic tub with reliable lumbar support and a 10-year warranty against yellowing.
8. Veba 55 inch Freestanding Tub – Best Ergonomic Model
Veba 55-inch tub is the best ergonomic model because it has contouring walls that will support your back and legs. The result is you’ll have a relaxing, spa-like experience in this petite tub.
Veba 55-inch tub is one of the best small freestanding tubs on the market because:
- It’s the complete package. You’ll find everything you need in the pack, including the pre-installed copper drain and overflow. You even get a flexible drain hose for quick installation.
- Easy to install. The retractable drain hose can reach anywhere under your tub, so you don’t have to worry about the position of your drain. Apart from getting the hose into the drain, your plumber won’t have much else to do.
- Good insulation. The double walls keep your water warm for longer because the acrylic layer is backed by a fiberglass layer. The bottom has special fiberboard reinforcement to keep your tub insulated and stable against rocking.
- Top material. The 100% acrylic construction is durable and non-toxic. You won’t have any trouble cleaning this tub, but the best part is its beautiful glossy white color doesn’t fade easily.
Summary: Consider the Veba 55-inch freestanding tub if you need a stylish, yet small free standing tub. You’ll like that it’s durable, easy to clean, and very insulating. This means you can enjoy more warm baths for longer, although you might need to bend your knees a little.
9. ARIEL Platinum AM128JDCLZ – Best Whirlpool Bathtub
Ariel Platinum AM128JDCLZ is the best whirlpool tub because you’ll get a healing AND customizable acupressure massage.
You can combine this massage with the included chromotherapy while listening to meditations from your phone. That way, your massage will have you relaxed as well as pain-free.
Here’s what Ariel Platinum AM128JDCLZ can do for you:
- Acrylic reinforced with fiberglass. You already know these materials ensure your tub’s durability and heat retention. From that regard, Ariel Platinum AM128JDCLZ guarantees you warm baths that will loosen your tight muscles and chase away your stress.
- Oval design. This dynamic design cradles and supports you in a relaxing position. You can enjoy a deep soak that leaves you rested and pain-free.
- User-friendly. The Ariel Platinum AM128JDCLZ won’t leak on your floor and won’t clog. You can thank the advanced Bath Waste and Overflow system for that. Besides, the pre-installed drain fixtures will ensure your bathwater drains smoothly.
- Advanced hydro-massage. Now you’re getting to the best part, which is 14 multi-directional acupressure jets. These jets massage your pressure points to get rid of your painful knots and alleviate stress. You can get a deep tissue or a soft tissue massage because you have six water flow settings available.
- It fills quickly. This tub is powerful and quick. 3.7 gallons of water flow each minute through your faucet to get your bath ready in no time.
- Chromotherapy. The built-in LED lighting projects all sorts of relaxing colors that will relax you. Chromotherapy is proven to relieve your stress, improve your mood, and to help you sleep better.
- Music system. You can connect the tub to FM radio to listen to music or news. If you want to listen to a meditation or your favorite tracks, use the Bluetooth connection. The intuitive touch screen keypad helps you make all these adjustments quickly.
Summary: Get the Ariel Platinum AM128JDCLZ if you need to deal with chronic pain, sleep issues, or stress. The whirlpool acupressure jets eliminate your painful knots, while chromotherapy and music help get you more relaxed.
SUMMARY: The free standing tubs in this review target different needs, so make your choice carefully. Consider your main purpose. You may want a plain deep soak, a healing massage, or a wide enough tub to share with your partner. Luckily, you can find the model you’re looking for above. If you’re undecided, your best bet is Woodbridge B-0034 because it has all the functionalities and comfort you need.
Models not included in this review are:
- KIVA RHYME 59″ F 100% Acrylic Bath Tub, High Glossy White
Main Pros and Cons of Freestanding Bathtubs
We went through a lot of free-standing bathtub brands, and you saw what each of them has to offer. However, before getting a freestanding tub, it’s important to consider all the pros and cons.
Will it fit well in your restroom? Are you happy with the style?
Let’s see if we can figure this out together.
- Flexible setup. You don’t need to place your tub near a wall. If the tub dimensions fit your bathroom, you can place it anywhere.
- Good for small bathrooms. Freestanding tubs create the illusion of more space. Your bathroom will look airier and bigger because these tubs have open areas underneath them.
- Appealing designs. Freestanding tubs vary in shape and size. You can pick a classic design or a contemporary one, a bigger tub, or a smaller one.
- Better for relaxing. Jetted tubs offer you effective massages. If you have chronic pain, poor circulation, or sore post-workout models, these free standing whirlpool tubs will help you.
- Various materials. You can get the material you want, depending on your interests. A copper or cast iron bath resists for longer if you’re looking for a durable tub. Otherwise, an acrylic tub is easier to clean and to move around.
- Easy to install. Free standing tubs are easier to install because you can put yours right above your drain. Besides, most brands include everything you need in the package. So even if you might need a plumber, you won’t need a decorator.
- Price. Freestanding tubs are usually fairly expensive compared to built-in models. However, you can find a reliable model for the money from my list above.
- No shower. If you need a shower and tub model, built-in tubs are better. A freestanding tub may look weird with added shower and curtain, especially if it’s in the middle of your restroom. If you want a shower, consider the American Standard Cadet with its small hand-held spray shower heads.
- No ledge. Freestanding tubs don’t have ledges for your beauty products or aromatic candles. You may need to place the tub near a vanity or buy a rolling caddie for the job.
- Difficult access. If you’re mobility-challenged, remember that freestanding tubs are more difficult to get in and out because they have tall edges. Besides, these tall edges can make your job harder if you want to bathe your kids or pets.
SUMMARY: Get a freestanding bathtub if you want a stylish, deep tub to soak in. You can browse through a variety of models, and even pick one with built-in massage jets. The biggest con is difficult access because of the tall walls. You can easily get over the other cons, such as the lack of shower or the price, with models that fit your needs.
What is the Best Material for a Freestanding Tub?
The best material for freestanding tubs is acrylic reinforced with fiberglass. You’ll find these tubs are the easiest to install and easy to repair.
You can move acrylic tubs easily, and you won’t pay an arm and a leg for them. Besides, the fiberglass reinforcement ensures the water stays warmer for longer.
However, all materials come with their pros and cons. Check them out below:
Porcelain on Steel
SUMMARY: All these materials have their pros and cons. Most experts agree that your best choice is an acrylic tub with fiberglass reinforcement if you want a quality tub that retains heat well. Luckily, this article contains mostly these types of freestanding bathtubs, so you can take your pick.
Best Freestanding Bathtub Reviews & Consumer Reports
You may wonder who makes the best freestanding tubs. But the correct question is “Who makes the best freestanding tubs for your needs?”
Customer reports and reviews show there’s no such thing as a perfect tub, but the perfect freestanding tub for your needs.
You will see 1-star reviews claiming, for instance, that a tub is unstable and light, together with 50star reviews saying the contrary. How do you discern between these contradictory comments?
- Consider the overall Amazon rating. A 4-star rating means you have 80% chances to like the tub.
- Consider the cons of freestanding tubs when you sift through the comments. You can’t buy a freestanding tub and complain that its walls are too tall because that’s part of the design.
- Consider the cons of a particular material. You can’t buy a cheap freestanding tub from plastic and complain about its durability. Conversely, if you get a cast iron tub, it’s weird if you complain that it’s too heavy.
- Check the “verified purchase” badge. Many websites feature a special badge for clients who have purchased the products they review. Take into account these badges before reading the comments.
- Read the entire comment. Some people leave bad reviews because they’re unhappy with the dealer or shipping, but that might not be your case.
- Watch comprehensive YouTube reviews once you’ve settled on a certain tub. That way, you’ll understand more about the possible cons and what you can do to overcome them.
Take the Woodbridge B-0034/BTS1611, for instance:
“This tub is beautiful. I WAS a surprised how small the inside of the tub is. It is large externally, but Internally, it slopes very far inward. I’m 5’3” and it’s just big enough that my knees do not need to bend, but none of my torso is underwater. I was also surprised by the bubbles, I was expecting a gentle effervescence, but they are serious BUBBLES. But all in all, I’m very pleased with the tub. I love the look, it’s easy to clean and I love the light.
On the other hand, Carol writes:
“Jets, lights, shape, slant of this tub are truly amazing!! I added a tub tray with candles and got the same bath tub fill in picture and LOVE the tub fill as well!! Took a huge gamble buying tub and faucet online But love so much how it turned out I night vanity and accent Cabinet from them as well. “
The Empava 67” has its detractors too:
“We bought this tub in July, it arrived cracked and poorly packaged. (No box, just wrapped in cellophane) We returned it and reordered. The 2nd one came in September, in beautiful physical condition, & excellently packages but the drain has been sticking since the 2nd week installed. It keeps getting worse to the point now where we have to use a tool to pry it up, to drain water. Hoping we can get ahold of the manufacturer for a replacement drain, & hoping this 2nd purchase isn’t a flop too, because it really is a beautiful tub.”
Sherri, on the other hand, is completely satisfied with her purchase:
“This tub is so pretty and we’ve had so many compliments on it! It’s lightweight so it was easy for the guys to move it in the bathroom. The installation was simple (so they say). It’s very comfy and a great size for soaking! I’m petite and it’s very roomy, but even a big ole 6 ft tall man can enjoy this tub. We DID change the drain to bronze which was simple but we had to paint the overflow as it can’t be removed.”
SUMMARY: Consumer reports and reviews are oftentimes contradictory. However, when a product has good ratings over 4 stars on Amazon, it’s considered reliable. The products in this article are all reliable, and you can purchase any of them assured of making a quality investment.
How Do I Choose a Freestanding Tub?
It’s not easy to choose a freestanding tub if you don’t know what you’re looking for.
Focus on your needs to understand the features you have to consider before getting a tub.
Below are the main factors that will influence your purchase decision:
- Design. Choose a design that complements your bathroom décor. A clean-cut tub is best if you have a classic bathroom, while a curved-shaped tub looks best in modern restrooms.
- Style. Choose a double-ended tub if you want a large tub for two people. Single-ended tubs are smaller and best for one person.
- Ease of installation. Ensure you can get the tub inside your home and to your bathroom easily. Make sure you have all the necessary piping and installation equipment. Check the product specs to see if your floor can hold the tub’s weight, especially when it’s filled.
- Material. Check the section above to choose the best material for your needs. Acrylic material is generally the best choice because it ticks all the boxes. But if you want an extremely sturdy tub with top heat retention, look for stone or cast iron tubs.
- Dimensions. Do the tub’s dimensions accommodate your purpose? You may want to lie down with your legs completely stretched, or you may place more value on a deep soak.
- Warranty. Check the warranty before purchasing your tub. A longer warranty means you’re getting a more durable tub, made with better materials.
SUMMARY: Get a freestanding tub that fits your needs. Consider your bathroom size, décor, and your purposes. Check the pros and cons of the reviews above to ensure you get the right tub for your needs.
Where Can I Buy Freestanding Bathtub / Prices / Reliability and Warranty / Service
The best place to buy freestanding tubs is their official websites or other trustworthy retailers. Buying from the official websites ensures you benefit from the warranty and service. Conversely, other retailers may not offer these same advantages.
Value-for-money freestanding tubs are usually around $700. A more expensive tub like Woodbridge B-0034/BTS1611 offers more options, including three types of massages and ergonomic features. If you get your bathtub from reliable stores like Amazon, Lowes, or Kohler, you can find a tub at a lower price.
Most freestanding bathtubs are backed by warranties for around 3 years. Woodbridge tubs in this review have limited 5-year warranties, while MAYKKE Barnet 61″ offers you a limited 1-year warranty. Your best choice if you want a durable warranty is the American Standard Cadet with its limited lifetime warranty.
If you’re interested in top service, Woodbridge tubs are your best bet. Other tubs in this review have good customer support too, but Woodbridge’s is the best.
Even if the company can’t help with in-home service or repairs when you’re out of warranty, the customer support staff will help you with details on how to solve your issues.
SUMMARY: Weigh your available budget vs. the materials, durability, and features before choosing your freestanding bathtub. These features influence your tub’s price, warranty, and service. If you’re interested in reliability, purchase your tub from a licensed provider.
Summing Up. Is a Freestanding Tub Worth It?
A freestanding tub is worth it if you want a stylish tub that’s easy to install. These tubs allow you to soak comfortably, and some models even come with healing massages.
Each model in this article offers a different advantage, so choose carefully.
For instance, if you have chronic pain, consider:
- Ariel Platinum AM128JDCLZ if you need a healing massage and relaxing chromotherapy for pain and stress release
- WOODBRIDGE Acrylic B-0014 if you don’t need a massage, but want a support pillow
Other good models include:
- Veba 55-inch tub is one of the best small freestanding tubs.
- MAYKKE Barnet 61” is one of the best freestanding bathtubs if you need a deep soak.
- American Standard Cadet is the best budget choice.
I say, look no further. Woodbridge B-0034/BTS1611 is a good investment for your overall health. Click the button below to purchase it now.
However, Woodbridge B-0034/BTS1611 is the best overall model. This tub offers you three types of massages that relax you and relieve your pain. It’s not extremely expensive, either if you consider its functions and quality materials.