Did you know that 80% of falls happen in the bathroom and that hundreds of thousands of Americans get bathroom injuries every year? Most of these injuries happen during bathing or showering, especially when you get out of the shower.
Choosing the best sliding shower door can reduce the risk of injury because these doors are sturdy; they help you climb inside, and they minimize water splashes,,, which cause you to slip.
The shower doors in this review are among the best, according to the professionals we’ve consulted. We’ve interviewed plumbing specialists and interior designers, but also spent hours researching forums and user reviews.
Thanks to our no-BS policy, you can read an honest review that discusses all the pros and cons of each sliding shower door.
We’ll also tell you how to install a sliding shower door, and also how to choose the best product for your needs. Put your health and safety first. Read along!
Best Sliding Shower Door Reviews (List for 2020)
I’ve recently installed sliding shower doors in my bathroom, and it’s surprising how much room I seem to have now and how much better my bathroom looks.
I’ve considered all the products below and chosen one together with my plumber, Jack, and my sister Clara, who’s also an interior decorator.
Here are some pointers before you read along:
- The best type of glass is tempered because it’s more resistant and safer than other types of glass. If its green hue bothers you, go for a low-iron door.
- Choose colored doors if you value your privacy. I have two toddlers, and I’ve learned my lesson.
- Pick the right extras for your needs, such as towel rails that keep your towels handy, shelves for your toiletries, of a water deflector to protect your floor from splashing water.
1. DreamLine Infinity-Z 44-48 – #1 Best Semi Frameless Sliding Shower Door (Editor’s Pick)
DreamLine Infinity-Z 44-48 is a modern-looking sliding shower door for an entire bathroom makeover. This door is functional and elegant, with plenty of customization in terms of finishes and glass.
I’ve selected this model for my bathroom because it’s high-quality and durable, with a limited lifetime warranty. Although I couldn’t install it myself, I still found the effort worthwhile.
- Sturdy. The Infinity-Z is made with 0.25-inch thick tempered glass with an ANSI certification. The hardware finish is brushed stainless steel nickel, another strong material, but you can opt for another coating. The wall profiles and guide rails are made with anodized aluminum, a resistant material that ensures your sliding doors aren’t noisy.
- Elegant. The Infinity-Z has a sleek, modern design that fits well in classic or modern bathrooms. You can choose three options: Brushed Nickel, Chrome, or Oil-Rubbed Bronze.
- Left or right opening. This feature shows that DreamLine is focused on user experience, which includes ease of installation and use.
- Adjustable. The door has a maximum 1-inch adjustment for uneven walls and max 4-inch width adjustment, which support quick installation.
- Roomy. The door is 72-inch high and 48-inch wide, to accommodate various user sizes and shapes. The door slides effortlessly and noiselessly, so your shower experience is nice and relaxing.
Summary: The DreamLine Infinity-Z is a stylish, durable type of door that focuses on ease of use and user-friendliness best for small spaces. Some people complain about insulation and hiring a plumber, though most agree, “The parts are well made, easy enough to assemble, and allows for opposite sliding door configuration. The nylon wheel assembly is sturdy and pivots to provide effortless sliding of the door with low friction.”
2. DreamLine Enigma-X 56-60 – Best Frameless Sliding Glass shower doors
Do you know what I hate about Saturday chores? Cleaning the watermarks from my shower door. Enigma-X 56-60 solves this issue, thanks to its exclusive coating.
I considered this product because it’s stylish, shatter-resistant, and backed by a lifetime warranty. However, you can’t adjust it for uneven walls.
- Quality craftsmanship. Enigma-X 56-60 is made in the US with top materials that withstand corrosion, scratches, and rust. The design has a brushed stainless finish that blends well in any décor.
- Top materials. The stainless steel hardware and ANSI-certified 3/8-inch thick clear tempered glass are resistant and safe. The ClearMax coating added to the glass protects the door against water stains.
- Easy to install. All you have to do is shift the top guide bar around to fit your space. Just like the Infinity-Z above, the Enigma-X also works for left or right-hand installation. Although DreamLine recommends a team of professionals, one reviewer encourages people, “I think that someone with good DIY skills could put this together without having to hire someone. Don’t let some of these other reviews scare you. Challenge yourself, but take your time.”
Summary: The Enigma-X is a good value door for a bathroom remodel. This frameless hinged door looks classy and is made with top materials, but you need to fix uneven walls and threshold before installing it.
3. Aston Langham 56″ to 60″ x 75″ Frosted Glass – Best Frameless Sliding Shower Doors
The Aston Langham sliding shower doors give a European vibe, and they’re an affordable choice, which is why I considered them for my bathroom. You can choose different types of glass for your shower, as well as different finishes.
My plumber, Jack, told me this is indeed a sturdy, top-quality door, but it’s high-maintenance. The stainless steel finish might rust, plus, you need to scrape it after each shower to make sure it doesn’t stain.
- Resistant glass options. The 3/8-inch thick tempered glass is sturdy and safe. You can choose between the clear and frosted options, but remember that tempered glass can get a green tint. Not everyone knows this, which explains some negative reviews on Amazon.
- Various finish options. The hardware finish materials are all strong and resistant. Choose between chrome, stainless steel, and oil-rubbed bronze to fit your décor.
- Easy to install. The door accommodates a right or left-hand installation. The round-top support bar provides more stability, and you can cut it to 4 inches, while each side has 0.25-inch adjustability. If you need a platform that fits, Aston Langham has an available 2.5-inch acrylic base with various drain options.
- User-friendly. The doors open and close quietly, so they’re not annoying. The package includes clear seals that improve the design and minimize leakages, which amount to lost time mopping the floor.
Summary: The Aston Langham has a reversible, minimalist design, it’s smooth and quiet, but also functional and strong. The only problems are that it requires constant cleaning to keep its original look and that the frosted glass option can get a green hue.
4. WOODBRIDGE 60 x 72 Double Sliding Frameless Shower
This Woodbridge frameless shower door is a double-sliding model, meaning you can open it from both sides.
This shower door looks good, it’s sturdy, and easy to install, although it’s not as expensive as other products.
As one user puts it, “Don’t be fooled by thinking this is cheaply made, it is not. This is just an excellent value for money. Save yourself hundreds of dollars and purchase these the next time you remodel your bathroom!!!! You will not be disappointed!”
- Easy to adjust. The width is adjustable between 56 and 60 inches, while the walk-in is a little over 28 inches so that it can fit people of different frames. You can also trim the top guide bar to 4 inches for easy installation.
- Good materials. All the materials and craftsmanship show durability and functionality. The thick tempered 3/8-inch glass is ANSI-certified and also backed by a lifetime warranty. The stainless steel hardware ensures smooth and quiet sliding, while the brushed nickel finish is stain-resistant.
- Modern design. This door looks nice, it’s easy to slide, and you can opt for a left or right-hand opening thanks to its reversible design.
- Low-maintenance. Most users agree that their Woodbridge frameless glass doors didn’t get rust or scratches and that they’re easy to clean. If you choose the chrome finish option, you might get more hassle from water stains.
- Waterproof. The Woodbridge prevents water spills, which are always a pain. Make sure you have a threshold depth of at least 2.75 inches, though.
Summary: WOODBRIDGE 60 x 72 Double Sliding Frameless Shower is best for people in search of a convenient, easy to use shower door at a reasonable price. Although a lifetime warranty backs the ANSI-certified glass doors, the vinyl and stainless steel parts are less durable, so they might need replacing.
5. ELEGANT SHOWERS Semi-Frameless Sliding Shower Doors
The Elegant Showers Semi-Frameless Sliding Shower door is the best bypass door in this review. The two panels open easily to get you in and out of the shower.
I considered this model because it works with uneven walls, and the vinyl strips waterproof the shower enclosure. If you are mobility challenged, you can also use the towel rail as a reliable handle.
- Quality glass. The 0.25-inch glass is thinner than the other products above, but remember, this is common for a semi-frameless door. The ANSI certification ensures its safety, while the polished panel improves its overall look.
- Sturdy handle. The aluminum door handle doesn’t rust or scratch easily. This reliable handle allows you to open and close the doors effortlessly, and you can use it for towels.
- Vinyl seal strips. These strips keep the water inside the shower enclosure. They’re quiet and don’t bother you when you need to open or shut the door.
- 1.5-inch width adjustment. These adjustments help you fit the shower doors in a bathroom with uneven walls. Your plumber can decide whether to cut the upper or lower rail track.
- Stainless steel glass clamp. This clamp supports the glass and locks it into place. With its sleek finish, it also fights rust and stains.
Summary: The Elegant Showers Semi-Frameless Sliding Shower door is best for people who prefer bypass-style designs. This model is safe and sturdy, but you need help with the installation.
6. VIGO VG6042CHCL54 48 – 54 Pirouette Frameless Pivot
The VIGO Pirouette is a good choice for large bathrooms. You will get glass supports for uneven walls to prevent leaks, while the chrome finish underlines the stylish design.
These sliding shower doors are low-maintenance, durable, and completely rust-proof, according to VIGO. The package includes everything you need for installation, including a water deflector to avoid leaks.
- Good materials. The Vigo Pirouette is made with safe 3/8-inch tempered glass and stainless steel hardware for the pivots. The materials are ANSI, CPSC, and CFR certified, while the pivot design allows the doors to open and close seamlessly.
- Adjustable. The VIGO shower doors have a reversible design, and you can install the L-shaped handle inside or out. The 3/8-inch door adjustability works well for uneven walls.
- Low-maintenance. VIGO promises that its doors won’t rust, scratch, or let water leak outside. Many reviews UK and US ascertain this feature.
- Easy to install. The 6-inch width adjustability is an advantage for sizing, but also when your walls contract with time. The only issue is you need to consider professional installation.
Summary: The VIGO Pirouette is an affordable and durable shower door, made with certified materials. It’s easy to install, but it’s high maintenance, and many customers dislike the support received from VIGO.
7. DreamLine Duet
The DreamLine Duet is another good choice for a complete bathroom makeover, especially if you want a tub. The semi-frame design looks good so that these doors can shine in a traditional or modern décor.
I’m not a fan of this semi-frame design because I find it confusing rather than helpful, but I admit the Duet shower door is elegant and can open your bathroom space.
- Functional. The Duet’s doors roll smoothly and have a sleek design. These shower doors are waterproof and easy to clean, thanks to the exclusive ClearMax coating. This coating fights stains and repels water for minimum cleaning.
- User-friendly. The double-sliding design allows you to get in or out of the shower from whichever side feels more comfortable. The doors are adjustable for uneven walls, but professional installation is recommended.
- Useful extras. The two towel bars are located conveniently, and they can also double as handles. They’re reliable,, and you can use them for extra support if you’re mobility-challenged.
- Long-lasting. The Duet is built with tough materials. You already know the advantages of tempered glass, but the anodized aluminum hardware is one of the best on the market for durability.
Summary: If you can handle the semi-frameless construction, the DreamLine Duet is an elegant choice for any bathroom décor, with a functional and user-friendly design.
8. SUNNY SHOWER Frameless Shower Door
In the words of Naveed, “I had a high-end bathroom remodel, and the shower door was the main thing that could make or break the look. This product is made of high-quality material and very sturdy. Looks great in the shower, couldn’t be happier.”
Many people feel the same about the Sunny Frameless Shower door. I also think it’s a functional, safe, and durable model, although some reviewers complain about leaks.
- Adjustable. The door is 60 x 72 inches, but you can adjust the width between 58.5 to 60 inches. This allows you to install the door easily, especially if you get professional help.
- Easy to open. Who doesn’t hate shower doors that are difficult to open? The Sunny Shower Door has a reversible opening for right or left-hand use, two inside knobs, plus a big towel handle for extra ease of opening. Bonus: the roller design makes this door especially quiet.
- Seal strip. The seal strip minimizes water leaks. Although these doors aren’t completely waterproof, they reduce your time spent cleaning the floor.
- TOP materials. The frame is a quality aluminum, which adds resistance and stability, although it’s heavy. The 0.25-inch ANSI-certified tempered glass is also safe and durable.
Summary: Although the SUNNY SHOWER Frameless Shower Door isn’t entirely waterproof, many people appreciate its beautiful design, resistance, and easy installation.
9. Delta Shower Doors SD3956938 Classic Semi-Frameless Traditional Sliding Shower
“As far as tub/shower doors go,, I would have to say that this unit has to be one of the best bargains available. The door package arrives exceptionally well packed,, and only the carelessness of an ape could damage the contents.
I reviewed the on-line installation video at deltashowerdoors.com and carefully read the instructions twice before proceeding with the installation.” Steveoreno
If you’re looking for an affordable sliding shower door, many happy users recommend this model. It’s durable, easy to install, and manufactured with top materials.
- Customizable. You can choose the type of glass you prefer, along with the handle and type of track. The overall look is stylish, regardless of what you choose.
- Quality glass. The 0.25-inch ANSI-certified tempered glass is safe, although it’s thin enough for a frameless door. The Spot Guard coating ensures easy maintenance because it repels water, soap stains, and scale, but you have to clean the glass regularly.
- Quality aluminum track. The frame is durable and stylish, allowing the door to run smoothly on the rollers. You get a reversible track design for left or right-hand operation, plus side-grab bumpers that secure the glass firmly.
Summary: The Delta Shower Doors SD3956938 is best for mobility-challenged people who have a tub as well as a shower, and who need a low-maintenance shower door.
10. DreamLine Visions 56-60 – Semi-Frameless Sliding Door
The DreamLine Visions is a user-friendly shower door, manufactured with top materials. You can choose this door for easy installation and easy use. I didn’t particularly like the glass design; I’ve seen this model in various showrooms, and it looks like plastic, although I know it’s ANSI-certified tempered glass.
- Adjustable. This model has an adjustable width of 56-60 inches, it allows 1-inch adjustments for uneven walls, while the upper and bottom rails allow 4-inch trimming for width adjustment. All these adjustments simplify the installation process, although you may need professional assistance.
- Easy to open and close. The opening is almost 27-inch wide thanks to the dual-sliding system, which leaves plenty of room for any shape and size. The doors glide smoothly on the rails, with no noise.
- Top materials. The 0.25-inch ANSI certified tempered glass (safety glass) has a good thickness for this semi-frameless design, ensuring safety against shattering. The brushed-nickel and chrome are both reliable, while the anodized aluminum rails resist rust and stains.
Summary: The DreamLine Visions is highly adjustable and made with good materials. Although it comes with poor instructions and isn’t the best looking model out there, the limited lifetime warranty speaks volumes about its durability.
11. SUNNY SHOWER Glass Sliding Shower Door for Bathtub
The Sunny Shower Glass Sliding Door is the best looking model in this review, with the bonus that it also fits a bathtub. Its unique selling proposition is the humanized handle design that allows you to slide the door better, and also hang your clothes before showering.
This shower door is resistant and stylish as one happy user comments: “Buying this from Amazon! Am I crazy?!? Yep, and I’d do it again!
This sucker is HEAVY, but I got it shipped no problem to me. I had it professionally installed, and the men had to cut it down to fit my opening,, but that was expected. It looks amazing, high-end, beautiful.”
- Half-height design. The door width is 60 inches, but its height is only a little under 57.5 inches. This design allows better ventilation, but it also allows water to splash out of the shower.
- Good materials. The 0.25-inch tempered glass holds an ANSI certification for safety and performance, and it’s thick enough for this design. The stainless steel frame is resistant, while the chrome hardware finish adds some protection against rust, although not so much against water stains.
- User-friendly. The width varies between 58.5 to 60 inches, which means you won’t struggle with the installation, although you need even walls. The two glass panels can help both move for extra ease of access, but the best feature from this point of view is the two inside knobs that double the horizontal handle.
Summary: The Sunny Shower Glass Sliding Door is best for people who need an elegant shower door with a half-height design. This door is one of the best for easy access, and it can also fit your tub, but you need a professional to install it.
SUMMARY: All the models in this review are functional and made with top materials. Before settling on a product, take your needs into account. Some people might value elegance before functionality, while others might value easy access. The best overall model is the DreamLine Infinity-Z 44-48 because it ticks all the boxes: it’s sturdy, customizable, adjustable, stylish, and comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
What is the Difference Between a Hinged and Pivot Shower Door?
The main difference is that pivot doors are secured at the top and bottom, while the hinged doors are secured on the sides.
This difference births various pros and cons for each door type.
- Increased stability thanks to floor anchoring
- They can leak
- Are easy to waterproof
- More expensive
- Precision cuts required for panel installation
SUMMARY: Pivot-hinge doors have bottom and top hinges, which makes them very stable. Although they’re not fully waterproof, they’re easy to clean and elegant. Side-hinge doors are more expensive but insulate your shower enclosure perfectly.
What’s Sliding Door
Sliding shower doors don’t swing; they slide. This design has several advantages:
- It saves space. Doors that swing need more room to pivot from the hinges. Sliding shower doors do not, so they’re a good fit for small bathrooms.
- It looks good. See-through, high sliding doors look modern, and they can fit any décor, provided you choose the right color and glass.
- It makes curtains unnecessary. Shower curtains remind me of old horror movies, plus they’re also bothersome. Curtains are a risk factor for mold, too, while sliding doors are low-maintenance and protect your bathroom against mold.
Before making your choice, remember there are two sliding door types:
- Framed doors are less expensive, but they can rust, so they’re higher maintenance. They’re thinner because they get the necessary support from the frame. The usual materials are tempered glass for the door and aluminum for the frame.
- Frameless doors are thicker because they have no frame and more expensive. You’ll install the door with things like hinges or pulls, which are caulked on the sides.
SUMMARY: Sliding shower doors don’t pivot; they slide, which saves space, prevents mold, and looks more stylish. You can opt for thinner framed shower doors or thicker, but more expensive frameless doors.
How to Install a Sliding Shower Door
The first step before installing your sliding shower doors is to consider whether you need professional help or not.
Even if you’re confident you can do it yourself, make sure someone is available to assist you. Then, start by carefully reviewing all the instructions before you get to it.
Here are the basic steps of what you will have to do:
- Take precise measurements. Measure the top and bottom shower opening and mark the channel’s place on the sill. You might need trimming.
- Start cutting. Get your workbench and saw ready to cut all the pieces. Sand them afterward and check if they fit.
- Choose where your frame sits. Secure the bottom channel on the sill with tape to check if all the vertical frame pieces fit where they’re supposed to. If everything looks good, remove the channel piece, pour caulk and fix it back with tape.
- Attach the frame. Start by drilling holes, then add the anchors and secure the upright parts of the frame with screws. Secure the top channel and get the tape off of the bottom channel.
- Hand the doors on the rollers, making sure the rollers for the inside door are inside, and those for the outside door outside. Start with the inside door first.
- Seal the frame edge with caulk. Don’t use the shower until the caulk is fully dry.
SUMMARY: Installing a shower door starts with exact measurements. You will need to cut some door parts if your walls are uneven. This work takes at least half a day, and you’ll need at least basic DIY skills to build it.
What is the Best Glass Thickness for a Shower Door?
The answer to this question depends on the type of door you’re getting. 3/8-inch thick is good for frameless door types, which need more protection against breaking, while 1/4-inch thickness works well for semi-frameless shower doors.
Framed or semi-frameless doors have more support from the frame, which is why they don’t need so much protection against breaking.
Either way, the rule of thumb is to always look for the thickest glass you can find, provided it’s in your budget.
SUMMARY: The best glass thickness depends on the type of shower door you need, but the thicker, the better. Consider 3/8-inch for frameless shower doors and at least 1/4-inch thick for framed and semi-framed doors.
How Do I Choose a Shower Door?
I’ve already told you a bit about how to choose a steam shower door. Remember my rules? POP-QUIZ EVERYONE!!
Just kidding. I told you about choosing tempered glass, colored doors for extra privacy, and only the extras you find useful.
Here are more tips below:
- Choose a pivoting shower door if your enclosure is narrow.
- Make sure your door accommodates a tub if you have one.
- Measure your shower enclosure carefully before ordering your door.
- Don’t buy shower doors that are narrower than your shower enclosure’s width.
- Pick clear glass if you like natural light.
- Choose the hardware finish that fits your bathroom décor.
- Choose a frameless door if you want a low-maintenance, germ-free door.
Follow this article in case you need good steam bath generator!
SUMMARY: Choose a shower door that fits your shower enclosure’s measurements, your style, and your needs. Remember that frameless shower doors are stylish and low-maintenance, while framed ones are easier to waterproof.
Final Verdict. What is the Best Brand of Shower Doors?
All the products in this review are reliable, and all their parent brands have high ratings.
But the statistics and research show that DreamLine is the best brand because it has all the features people are looking for:
- Focus on user experience, with highly-adjustable, easy to clean, and customizable shower doors
- High-quality products manufactured with safe, certified materials that resist for years
- Good customer support in any situation
- Stylish products that fit in modern and classic bathroom decors
Here are the top products from DreamLine in this review:
- Infinity-Z 44-48 is the best sliding shower door because it’s stylish, rugged, and versatile, although it’s best for small spaces.
- Enigma-X is a good-value door for a bathroom remodel, although it doesn’t work for uneven walls.
- Duet is an elegant choice for any bathroom décor, with a functional and user-friendly design.
- Visions is affordable, highly adjustable, and quality, backed by a limited lifetime warranty.
Don’t hesitate. Look above: the DreamLine product line is specifically designed to meet the most poignant needs.
Remember those grim statistics I started with, and get the shower doors you need now!